Grandma's mushroom secrets

Pristine white crockery has been an all time favourite with me. Colours are eloquent on a white canvas. There is nothing like a clean white plates (let the shape be any)…that makes food speak out. They come alive and present such a pretty picture that eye appeal scores high. After an era of experimentation with colorful pottery, it is peaceful to see most food outlets using white crockery. 

When speaking of white plates, I remember the ancient ones in my grandmother’s kitchen. They were more a gray than white though, due to lack of high quality glazing used today. I particularly remember the old fashioned white sauce boat perched on the crockery shelf, waiting to be taken out when special guests came for lunch…guests for dinner was a rarity or rather a non occurrence! I came by a similar sauce boat few days back in a run down shop in a market in the older part of the city. The nostalgia was so strong that I bought it without a second thought; so excited was I that I caused much amusement for the shopkeeper! 

All this talk about ancient crockery and my grandmother has just brought back memories of the heavenly mushrooms in ‘pepper masala’ that she doles out lovingly. I am particularly fond of mushrooms in continental fare but I tend to pass it by in an Indian menu. But this recipe has always had me licking my fingers.

Wash and clean well one bowl of mushrooms, leave smaller ones whole, and cut the larger ones appropriately
Grind to a coarse paste… five cloves of garlic, eight shallots (popularly known as sambar onions), one red chilly, two tablespoons of peppercorns, two tablespoons of whole coriander seeds and salt to taste.
Heat a table spoon of oil (sesame/gingelly would be apt but u may use vegetable to suit your palate) in a pan
Add a few curry leaves and the masala and stir fry till the oil show up at the edges 
Toss in the mushrooms and sprinkle water to loosen the masala
Keep turning them around until soft and are coated well.
Squeeze half a lemon over it


Serve with steaming hot rice or any Indian bread of your choice and a wholesome salad by the side on 'white crockery' and watch the drama unfold!


    Comments

    Bong Mom said…
    Welcome to Blogging :-)
    Dakshina said…
    Thank u,Bong Mom or should I call u Sandeepa (assume that's your name)
    SK said…
    Hi Gauri,

    Congratulations on your new blog :). Darshan gave me the link. All your recipes are exotic and simple at the same time.

    I am delighted to see this desi touch to mushrooms. Will try it soon.
    Dakshina said…
    Thank you SK...do let me know how it turned out!!...by the way i read your blog too...esp the one on id cards.
    SK said…
    he he that one is on my mind since the day I wore my first ID card, I still wear the same one, its been seven years. Will get rid of it soon :) Do call me Swathy (SK stands for Swathy Kamal)
    Dakshina said…
    Sure ...nice to meet/connect with u.

    Popular posts from this blog

    My tryst with the Momo

    Ma Cher Chef! & his Asian Magic!!

    Mango mania