Falling in love again...a vegetable affair!

I grew up loving my fish!....please, don't get me wrong; I still favor my mom's spicy fish curry above all else. But like I started to say...I grew up loving my fish and couldn't savor my lunch or dinner without it. Vegetables were tolerated as second cousins to the fish but if the hero itself was missing I'd rather starve than put myself through the torture of a boring mealtime. Then something changed in my life. I lived in Calcutta for a while, met my husband and learnt that vegetables may be not so boring or in fact very interesting. The moringa ..... or drumstick as I have always called it suddenly became very appetizing. When mom in law made it in a mustard gravy it no longer stood shyly behind but suddenly took centre stage at the dining table. Then recently my mom made it her way and I loved it!, just that and steaming rice. Talk about changes!
  1. Wash and scrape about two thick and fleshy drumsticks and cut them into three inch length pieces....(if the drumstick is thick and may with stand yet another cut please do so splitting it length wise..otherwise just let it be)
  2. Boil them in minimal water along with a pinch of turmeric and salt to taste
  3. Separately mix together quarter tea cup of grated coconut, two pods of garlic (peeled and crushed), pinch of turmeric, quarter teaspoon of cumin seeds (rolled between your palms to release the flavour), half a teaspoon of red chilly powder and more salt to season
  4. Slice two large onions very finely
  5. While the drumsticks are cooking on the slow flame, fry the sliced onions and couple of slit green chillies to a golden brown
  6. Add the cooked drumstick and continue frying
  7. Add in the coconut mix and fry till the aroma catches up.
  8. Serve with steaming hot rice and enjoy this vegetable, full of nutrients






Comments

Dreams of cakes said…
This dish looks and sounds very tasty! Thanks for sharing.
Dakshina said…
Sorry ...the delay in reply...have not been blogging recently...but u've just woken me up!!

Popular posts from this blog

Mango mania

My tryst with the Momo

Lamb for a lazy sunday afternoon lunch